a Grace Jones 'fashion icons and sexuality' --> Skip to main content

Grace Jones 'fashion icons and sexuality'

Grace Jones 'fashion icons and sexuality'

Long before the appearance of Lady Gaga, Grace Jones had already hit the stage with provocative costumes and wide eyes.

As an inspiration to Lady Gaga and Rihanna, stunning the audience with costumes is a hallmark of Grace Jones.

Recall the series of clothes used by women who have a height of 175cm during their concert at the Hammerstein Ballroom, New York, 2009 ago.

In the event, Jones wore a white zebra pattern costume with a bird head cover, a gold skull mask and a black-orange shirt filled with a dollar logo.

Or in his last appearance, Jones's naked body was filled with typical African body paintings while playing hula-hoops.

It was seen that the singer from Jamaica who was 70 years old was still able to maintain his body shape like a supermodel. Grace Jones is like the power of nature that exudes an infinite charm.


Costumes and accessories are everything for this very confident artist. He was once called to attend a party held by a minister in France in the 70s, almost naked, only using skull necklace accessories.

Women who have been immortalized through photos and paintings by legendary artist Andy Warhol to Helmut Newton's photographer have always tried to sharpen his already very strong physique, with corsets, masks, headgear and robes.
Grace Jones 'fashion icons and sexuality'

Gray border
His image, which seems rude, fascinates his ex-girlfriend Jean-Paul Goude, the person behind the photos and the extraordinary character of Jones. They first met in New York in the late 1970s.

At that time Jones was still pioneering his career as a pop singer. "I always like the combination of crude image and beauty. At that time, I was sure, it was Jones' time to be seen by people," said Goude in a BBC production documentary, about disco queens.


He then 'juggled' Jones. On the cover of the Island Life album released in 1985, Jones was photographed with a body full of oil, almost naked with an extreme pose. He held a microphone away from his mouth.

The iconic photo is actually a collage of several photos and involving other people's bodies. To the 1986 edition of Playboy magazine, Jones even called the buttocks in the photo, "not my butt".

On the cover of the 1981 Nightclubbing album, Jones displayed an androgynous image wearing only an Armani tuxedo jacket, with very flat cut hair and a cigarette hanging on his lips.

Plus, the shoulder part of the tuxedo has also been extended, further emphasizing the image of masculinity.


At this gray boundary, Jones said, "I can look feminine, or masculine. I think I'm both. Sometimes I think my male side is more dominant, so I have to reduce it. I'm not like women in general, that's for sure . "

His relationship with Goude ended when Jones conceived their child, Paulo, confessed that he was attracted to Jones, "because of the virtual character Jones could create, not because he was an ordinary woman". Jones confirmed that, "I have always only been an object for him".


Jamaican-American
The third child of seven siblings was born as Beverly Grace Jones born in Jamaica. He was raised by his hard grandmother, because his parents mostly worked in the United States.

"I can't do anything. I can't watch TV, I can't paint my nails, I can't play, I can't even listen to the radio. So when I arrived in the United States, I was like a bird just coming out of its cage. motorcycle gang and doing various stupid things. Luckily I survived ".

A childhood full of pressure actually made Jones's imagination grow wild. When he arrived in New York, Jones ventured his lost youth in his hometown. Genetics and family background (a strong mix of politics, religion and music) contribute to Jones' always theatrical movements. This is also added by the direction given by Goude.

In an interview with the BBC, makeup artist Jones, Rudy Calvy, who was also Jones' clubbing friend, remembered one of the shows that his friend had shown.

"He came to the club on a motorbike. His head was covered in a black hood. He walked to the bar, dropped all the glasses on the table and then lay on the table. His high heel shoes stepped on the cash register. Jones then sang La Vie en Rose. Crazy, outside very ordinary appearance that night. "

Coming from the village
For all its uniqueness, Jones said his hometown was his main inspiration. In a 2010 interview, Jones sat next to his mother, Majorie, who works as a tailor, who at the time was wearing a black hat, revealing that his love for hats began with church activities on Sunday.

"My mother told me, if people go to church, they dress up. The focus of the dress is on the head. I am not even allowed to leave the house if I don't wear a hat. It's like an obligation. So, I feel naked if I don't wear a hat."

However, Jones was not interested in sharing dress tips and appearances with other celebrities.

Regarding repeated requests from Lady Gaga who invited Jones to collaborate, Jones said, "I don't like collaborating with other people. We were born alone, died alone. Going on our own. I was more suitable to appear alone. In 2002, I collaborated with Pavarotti. That's because I love him, and I can widen my experience to the world of opera. I get something from there. If it is with Lady Gaga, I will get nothing. Surely only he will benefit. "


Even though he remained cautious about maintaining his image, Jones had won 'everything'. He did not follow the trend, but translated it, even made it. "Creativity that keeps me alive".

So, whatever Jones did or imposed, whether writing an autobiography, making a new album, or presenting an award by wearing only underwear, the woman who was about to step on the head of seven was a storehouse of creativity.

grace jones bodysuit tommy hilfiger zendaya show paris fashion week pics

Comment Policy: Silahkan tuliskan komentar Anda yang sesuai dengan topik postingan halaman ini. Komentar yang berisi tautan tidak akan ditampilkan sebelum disetujui.
Buka Komentar
Tutup Komentar